First – apology. I apologize for not having a new post for quite a while; I apologize for my little bit delayed response on the comments by the fellow participants in the Quick Start Challenge. I do apologize on my absence of action but not quite on the reason – I have been on a vacation with my family AFTER resolving the crash that happened on my site.
You can’t imagine the level of stress that overwhelmed me after receiving this “We just upgraded your install of WordPress as requested” message, allegedly by my hosting partner installer robot!
What? What request? I haven’t requested anything?! Might this be a hacker? With my not so intense level of experience I didn’t do anything but contacted my hosting partner.
And everything seemed to be in order after the soothing message I received: “No need to be alarmed! It’s an auto upgrade when a new version is out.”
What a relief! No hackers, no ban, nothing to be afraid of … Thank God! I can safely go on my site now and check WP improvements!
So, I enter the address and … horror!!! I can’t login to my site at all! Furthermore, I receive a message by VaultPress (a paid service I maintain in order to have regular daily back up on my site) that my site is broken with many 404 errors with a conflict on the web-site or server!
What the hack does this mean? How did it happen?! And what happened after all?! And all these just before our few times postponed family vacation?! What on Earth have I done wrong?! Why is this happening to me???
And … after the initial despair I finally took the things in my own hands. I might not be a top expert on the matter, but I do have some knowledge and some practical experience … and I did find out the problem or better yet – the cause of it: the upgrade was done on a wrong root directory! Small, simple and yet – very stupid and highly devastating reason!!!
So, I won’t get into all the details – luckily I had regularly done my own back-ups and after preventing my hosting partner from taking any further action that might conflict with my actions, I was able to use my back up and successfully restore my site.
What a relief to finally be able to login on my site and find all my content there – little bit disturbed but there! It took me several hours though and few more to re-activate the plugins, pictures and everything else but after almost a week of agony I finally felt HAPPY!
Yes, I did it! Yes, I did it myself!
This was another lesson, not planned though, but a kind of one which would certainly be remembered! The level of emotions involved – stress and anxiety at the start and happiness and self-confidence at the end would certainly contribute to long-lasting memory and effect.
And we could finally go and really rest a bit on our short vacation!
I think you understand now the reason for absence of a new post for quite a while, the reason for the delay in my response… the reason for my apology at the beginning. I really needed a time off. My family, my most important “Why”, needed me with a time off. And so I let myself a little bit time off … in order to be able to continue now.
So, I am back on track! The journey continues!
P.S. I do have one more thing to do though – inform WordPress on the correct root directory for future upgrades and prevent this from happening again – I am just about to that now.